Dr. M. Scott Ostler, D.D.S., M.S.D. believes that retention is extremely important in the orthodontic process. This is the time to really focus on keeping the smile you worked so hard to achieve. We offer the best in retention after teeth realignment and we stay up to date on the latest in dental technology. Because of this, we are excited to provide the best option for our clients.
Dr. Ostler knows it can be awkward adjusting to your retainer. It can be difficult to speak at first, so make sure to practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to the new device in your mouth. Along with getting adjusted to your retainer as a part of your every day life, there are steps you will need to follow in order to keep your retainer safe and clean.
Caring For Your Retainer
Caring for your retainer is important because over the years, orthodontists hear all kinds of stories and reasons as to why someone has to purchase another retainer. Retainers often accidently get thrown away, warped by heat, and chewed on by pets. To keep from having to replace your retainer, read the basic rules below:
- Wear your retainer as often as instructed by Dr. Ostler.
- You must take the retainer out when eating and place it in the retainer case. It’s important you do this and to not place it anywhere else because the majority of retainers that are lost are accidently thrown away. This happens when the retainer was placed on trays or in napkins and thrown away by restaurant staff or lunchroom employees.
- Make sure to keep your retainer away from pets.
- Keep your retainer away from hot water, hot car dashboards, and the washing machine. The heat will damage the material of the retainer.
- Clean your retainer with a toothbrush and warm water at least twice a day. This will keep plaque and odors at bay.
If you have any additional questions about retainers, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We want our patients to be as educated on the post braces/Invisalign process as possible. If you would like to make an appointment, call or request an appointment today!